
Do you look in the mirror, and hate what you see? Do you poke and prod at your body, wishing it could be thinner, and more toned?
Eating Disorders affect millions of people. Males and Females. They're so common that they effect 1 or 2 out of 100 kids in the U.S.. These kids will mostly suffer from either Anorexia Nervosa or Bulima Nervosa.
Anorexia Nervosa Syptoms
- can become seriously underweight
- easily upset and irritable
- loss of sleep and energy
- decreased concentration and attention
- become obsessed with thoughts of food
- mood, anxiety and personality disorders
Bulimia Nervosa Symptons
- complusive exercising
- regularly going to the bathroom after eating
- discarding packages for laxatives, diet pills, emetics & diuretics.
*If you know anyone that might be suffering from either of these, or any other eating disorder, please confront them and/or get them help immediately. These eating disorders are no jokes.
I believe that the media is to blame for this. In todays media, we see models that look perfect, with their perfectly thin bodies, air brushed skin, and flawless makeup. Whether we notice it or not, we're surrounded by these advertisements, and it influences the way that we see ourselves when we look into that mirror every morning. Now because we are surrounded by all these subliminal messages, boys and girls around the world starve themselves, and spend thousands of dollars a year on material items, so that they can try and achieve what the media states is perfect.
Yes, I agree that the media is defintely to blame. They are the ones who originally got the 'being skinny is sexy' view into our heads, and nowadays thats how we think, which makes us want to be thinner. It can get way out of line, and cause a lot of health problems and eating disorders such as you said, (Anorexia Nervosa or Bulemia) and its getting a lot more common, especially in girls, sadly. I myself, have a friend who is bulemic and I'm quite worried about her. She throws up after she eats, and I didn't know she did untill recently. So, keeping us aware of this issue is a great thing to keep us healthier, and to clear our mind of the media's manipulation. (: Though even I look in the mirror occasionally in the morning and say; "I wish I was thinner..". The media is still doing a good job, apparently. So thank you for keeping us aware of this issue, it can get quite serious.
ReplyDelete