Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Friday. REALLY NOW???

Friday by Rebecca Black.

I KNOW there has been so much hate on this song and the young girl herself...but I really can't seem to help myself.
In earlier years there has ALWAYS been the trend of letting the audience listeners know what day of the week it is.  Ive never understood why its necessary to let us know that Saturday and Sunday follow after Friday. I'm fairly certain EVERY teen at least knows this for obvious reasons stated clearly in the song itself.

The overall message of the song is not bad. I get it. Fridays ROCK.

Really.

They do.

But I have a few problems with this song.
Other than the fact that her voice is overly auto tuned and not to mention REALLY monotone which is slightly sad because there are videos of her singing without...and she is actually quite decent.

Really, that's the only problem I have with Rebecca Black directly.

The Lyrics...were done by another. 

The Lyrics...

 HORRIBLE.

My biggest problem...is the music video.
Its not really her fault for its turn out though.
They people who directed it should have payed more attention to her age, the law and basic entertainment ideas when making this video.

Lets look at the video:



At the beginning she is getting up...she wakes up with makeup on? 

I'm sorry...but your supposed to take that off before you go to bed.

People don't wake up in dark eyeliner and mascara that barely looks touched! 
If your going to do makeup for a morning scene...try more natural makeup so it doesn't look so odd to the viewers...

Then she heads down stairs while singing about eating cereal

"7am, waking up in the morning
Gotta be fresh, gotta go downstairs
Gotta have my bowl, gotta have cereal
Seein’ everything, the time is goin’
Tickin’ on and on, everybody’s rushin’..."

BUT

despite eating and rushing around you see her do NEITHER.

She just stands there.

No cereal.

No movement.


Then she is at her bus stop and her friends role up in a car...

"Gotta get down to the bus stop
Gotta catch my bus, I see my friends (My friends)

Kickin’ in the front seat
Sittin’ in the back seat
Gotta make my mind up
Which seat can I take?"

cool. Driving to school...cruisin' along. SCREEEEEEEECH.

HOLD UP.
OKAY.
THIS IS WHERE LAWS START TO GET BROKEN.

You and your friends are thirteen.  THIRTEEN.

YOU CANT LEGALLY DRIVE.

So technically...they are showing her and her friends doing something that is very illegal...even in the state of California which is where she is from and where this was shoot.

And besides....does it really matter where you sit as long as your in the car????

Another two that are illegal...
NO ONE IS WEARING SEAT BELTS.
and
THEY ARE SITTING ON THE BACK OF THE CAR WHILE DRIVING.

Another law broken.  Ouch.

Then  they start talking about partying and they are at a house party
"Partyin’, partyin’ (Yeah)
Partyin’, partyin’ (Yeah)
Fun, fun, fun, fun
Lookin’ forward to the weekend"

At the age of 13...how much House partying did YOU do?

Would your parents let you DO that or HOST that?

Oh no.

I personally find that inappropriate to show in a video made by someone who is 13 years old.

I understand that its very common to want to be treated older than you are and to be like one of the 'cooler' older kids but driving illegally and house parties at the age of thirteen is really pushing it.

In the end, I dont beleive it's entirely Rebecca's fault of the failed music video...she really was just having fun.  But I do believe that the directors of the video should have really payed attention to how the video will possibly be taken as well as the laws and age of Rebecca herself.

3 comments:

  1. This is freaking hilarious. Really nice read too. I enjoyed it from beginning to end. But I'm going to hell for laughing at this, the fact that she's so young and being trolled at is just discusting. Have you seen the comments on Youtube though? and the dislikes and likes bar? 100,000 dislikes and counting, and only 20,000 likes. Not only that but comments are being rolled in every second. The comments are nasty, so nasty that I even get offended. I would hate to be her. Is anyone else appalled by this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that this music video/song is stupid and that it doesn't send a good message for kids (not that music videos generally do anyway, but whatever). But the thing that bothers me the most is not the quality of the song (which is frankly quite horrid) but the fact that Rebecca was able to make it into the music industry. I believe an artist should earn their fame through hard work (she didn't even write the song!) and real talent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this was a very entertaining blog post. Well written to grab the readers attention, and and just overall fun read. The way you worded your sentences, as well as using caps where appropriote was very effective to this blog. Very opinionated, I agree with you this is a rediculus song and music video! But entertaining at the same time, just because of ow terrible the whole thing is.

    ReplyDelete

All comments must conform to Cawthra's code of student behaviour; no offensive language will be tolerated.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.