Sometimes we just need to slow down and enjoy the simple pleasures in life. Come on, let's just chill for a minute and forget about essays, assignments, and all the other things that worry us. And let's just pick up The Book of Awesome...This book is truly, well, awesome. The idea to write a novel entirely comprised of a collection of the little pleasures in life is so simple, yet so genius. The author, Neil Pasricha, has successfully managed to put a smile on the faces of all his readers. Say you failed your math test, fallen out of a relationship, got into a fight with your parents, or are just having a bad day; The Book of Awesome can make you forget it all. Even after reading one entry, you automatically feel a sense of relief and start to feel the smile spreading across your face. I love Pasricha's down to earth and comedic sense of humor reflected in his writing. Sometimes we take too many things for granted and we don't notice all the awesome things in life-until someone points them out. So I thank you, Mr. Pasricha for making our lives that much more awesome.
And now for some of my personal favourites:
When you're watching one of your favourite movies and you realize you don't remember how it ends
When you're watching one of your favourite movies and you realize you don't remember how it ends
You get to relive the excitement, the drama, the suspense, the action...
The smell of the coffee aisle in the grocery store
After the fishy smell of the seafood section, you suddenly inhale the fabulous
smell of coffee beans. Mixed in with hazelnut and hints of vanilla, you pause to enjoy that heavenly scent.
The smell and sound of a campfire
The relaxing crackling sound and smokey fumes drifting around the air as
you sit in a circle with your friends and family...
Remembering what movie that guy is from
The moment in a movie when it dawns on me that I know that actor or actress, but sadly can't figure out who it is yet, bothers me for the whole movie. I'm not even kidding; it's like an annoying person constantly poking you in the back. But then the missing puzzle piece kicks in your brain and you figure it out-YES!
Stomping dry crunchy leaves on a sidewalk
CRUNCH TIME.
Correctly guessing if the door is push or pull
You just saved yourself from 2 seconds of humiliation there, partner. Congrats!
The moment after you wake up from a nightmare and realize it was all just a dream
You wake up with a jolt and feel your heart pumping like mad and feel the sweat glistening on your forehead...and then look at your alarm clock. "It was just a dream, it was just a dream..." and peacefully slip back under the covers.
Seeing a liscense plate from home when you're somewhere really far away
"Look! LOOK! They're from CANADA! NO WAY NO WAY..."
(Annoyed sleeping guy in the passenger seat: "And I'm supposed to care, why?")
The moment on vacation when you forget what day of the week it is
You totally erase your work-filled schedule from your mind and lose your sense of reality. Sit back, close your eyes, hear the sound of the ocean, and sip your ice-cold drink. It doesn't get any better than this.
The universal fry-sharing policy
Just make sure you don't take the one perfectly sized fry sticking out of the box; that one's off limits buddy.
Typing in your username and password at the speed of light
Suddenly you're this temporary computer whiz-SKILLS.
The moment on a roller-coaster when you get to the big hill and before you go down it
Just so you guys know, I probably won't be the best person to sit next to on a roller-coaster; just ask my friends. Well, unless you want to be deaf in one ear for the rest of the day.
Taking a spin on a shopping cart
Suddenly you're a little kid again with both your hands on the bar, foot underneath, and back leg hanging out like a figure skater.
The sound of water lapping against a dock
Close your eyes and take it in.
Passing under a bridge on the highway when it's pouring rain
Enjoy those 2 seconds of blissful silence.
AWESOME!
I really enjoyed this! It some how made me very relaxed. I remember when my teacher for grade 11 english made us write out what we thought was awesome, so we could have a 'wall of awesome'. It really helps you remember and re-live the 'awesome times' and doesn't fail to put a smile on ones face. Thank you for making my day and forcing me to ponder on what I think is awesome... and I can't just think of one!
ReplyDeleteI've never actually read this book, but I now know what I will be picking up at chapters this week!
Oh, this sounds really amazing, actually. I think I will go look for this book. Reading your examples are relaxing, and made me think "Hey... I've done that, and it made me smile." Especially Passing under a bridge on the highway when it's pouring rain, for some reason, that relaxes me a lot, I love being out in the rain, and to see it still, a bit ahead of me, and hear silence, while feeling the coolness in the air, feels great. I usually open the window, even if its for a few seconds, I love it for some reason. I definitely want to check out this book, I think it would keep me happy on a bad day. :)
ReplyDeleteBroadwayStar said,
ReplyDeletei remember reading this in wal-mart and without realising it .... i stood there for 45 minutes reading this book !! it well as it says AWESOME !!! its so funny how something as simple as finding left over cake in the fridge can make your day a good one ...... and this book is the perfect little reminder of all the things that just give us a little burst of happiness =)