I sure don't, Im way to young to remember the days when there was real simple and pure musicians.
Nowadays singers, musicians, bands, all seem to be concerned with their image and it seems there's so much fluff surrounded with mainstream music now.
What ever happened to the day when somebody just sat up on stage with their guitar and sang their heart out?
Let me tell you one thing, Kesha wouldn't be able to capture people's interest just sitting their singing her songs without all her costumes, props, auto-tune, and dancing.
Compare to 2011 to any year during the 60's ot 70's.
Who was popular then? Bob Dylan. The Rolling Stones. Jimi Hendrix. Janice Joplin. The Specials. Just to name a few.
They were popular for a reason, because of a killer voice and musicality.
Who's popular now? Kesha. Justin Bieber. Brittany Spears. Black Eyed Peas.
Who all seem to be more focused on their image and performance with all of these extra unnecessary things about their sets. If people only focused on their voices without seeing what the singers themselves actually looked like, I doubt they would be as sucessful as they are now.
Now don't get me wrong, Im not ragging on all music created recently, but bands/singers who keep true to their love of music and don't throw in all these attention seeking extras to their image and whatnot never seem to get enough of the deserved attention. Because they don't have that 'it' look or flavour of the month sound?
So all I ask is next time you listen to your ipod, or mp3 or music thingamabob, ask youself why your REALLY listening to the songs you are. Is it because their catchy and everyone is listening to them? Or do they actually have substance and infectious passion from the musicians who make it?
The music industry seems to be going to hell in a handbasket, but the good stuff is far and few between but when you find it, it's priceless.
Here's a few songs I feel still have that put your heart into it, attitude I find infectious. Even though they might not get the biggest coverage, that doesn't take away from how good their songs are.
Wagon Wheel - Against Me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUtdoyPG0OY
Beauty In The Breakdown - The Scene Aesthetic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoFsshDfE0k
Rabbit Hole - Comanechi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaEBlFwgRVo
If It Means A Lot To You - A Day To Remember
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzq1Kmu7Xmg
It's Only Wednesday - Crash Kings


I completely agree that music today is mainly auto tune and who can out dress the others. Music that focuses on the instruments and the voice, they've been overshadowed by big hair and meat dresses. It is a little too crazy for me, mainly I like to find music that gets back to the instruments and voices.
ReplyDeleteI agree with the comment above. I like music's that I can enjoy with friends and at a hangout. However, I believe that music is another way of communication with melody, which cannot be described in words. I do really hope that in the future, we can find more music's that can move our hearts and not "who can dress better".
ReplyDeleteyour so right about this !!!!! if u listen to music from the good old days ...... without even looking at the mmusician you can feel the emotion its all about the music ...... but now a days if we cant watch it ... its not a hit !!!!!!! music needs to go back to being all about emotions, it has to be real , not this cookie cutter watered down random stuff !!
ReplyDeleteI listen to music....period. I don't care if its by the most obscure muscian or band, I'm not even ashamed to admit that I listen to the mainstream stuff like Bieber or Gaga. For me, music is music, I'll listen to any genre by any artist. However on the songs you listed on your blog, If It Means A Lot To You especially, is just amazing because the lyrics and the melody. Especially in the end where the whole gang is singing lalalalalala, its definitely moving.
ReplyDelete