
May I ask why your people care so much about personal image, about what is "cool"? Every day, the meaning of cool changes. The names of the most popular musicians change. New fashion trends develop and become popular, while others are banished to the back of the closet. What does it mean to be "cool" and who decides it? And if something is "cool", does it make it more important than everything else?
I have seen on my journeys a type of people that are viewed with more importance then most others; they are more popular then the rest. They dawn the most expensive garbs, they possess the newest technology and are the most social among you. They can be seen where ever an area of social gathering exits. Your places of learning, the local indoor market; as well as the television, on billboards and all over the Internet. You crown them as the leaders of society and strive to be like them. You do as they say, buy what they tell you, all in hope of becoming like them. But here is where I wonder, do you need to be like them?
You empower those that think they are better then you; you allow them to lead and abuse you. What is the definition of "cool" anyways? I always thought it meant that something was frigid to the touch. You need not be the the slaves of the cool tyrant. Be an individual do, what you want to because what ever you do is the coolest thing around.
I really like how your points are straight to the point; it really brings out the problem. And overall, I totally agree with you. People nowadays, are so into their "image" of being cool and all. I think that being "cool" doesn't necessary mean, wear brand name clothes, listen to most updated gossip and wear makeup. I believe that being "cool" is being yourself without faking who you are.
ReplyDeleteInteresting post. I also have to agree with the comment above me. Being cool is being yourself, no bull. But I think that once high school students leave highschool, when they leave that teenager phase in life, that they start to drift away from the whole "being cool/fitting in" thing. Thats just what I think. I'm about to leave to college and its my final week of highschool, crazy. I could also tell you right now that I am drifting away from all this cool shinanigans, and start to become more of an adult, not giving a f*** about the way I look, if I'm cool or not, just as long as its proper I'm alright with that.
ReplyDeleteAgain, thats just me.