EPISODE VI: I AM YOUR FATHER
I'll be honest, I grew up surrounded by video games and anything Nintendo related. I wasn't like all you other guys growing up with Disney and Spongebob or whatever. Instead, I grew up with Super Mario and The Legend Of Zelda. You guys would watch all these Disney movies, like Lion King, a movie about a cub losing his father and replacing him and becoming a king. However I experienced something similar growing up. Star Fox anyone? You got Mickey Mouse, I got Super Mario. You got the Disney Princesses, I've got Princess Zelda and Peach (lol). You get the idea. However though, I found myself getting tired of Nintendo, as I grew older, and the games and consoles came, my interest in that started to decrease. The N64, I loved it, Gamecube? Loved it, SNES? Yeah that too. But Wii? It didn’t last me a long, a bunch of mini games on that system, I felt that Nintendo is starting to attract the casual gamers and starting to ditch its hardcore crowd (like myself).
But hopefully that’s all about to change, because last week. The newly announced Wii U was revealed. I couldn't breathe. I had a mini heart attack.
Feast your eyes on the successor to the Wii. Goodbye is the outdated graphics, the horsies mini games, and the unsuccessful exercise games. The Wii U is capable of having 1080p high definition visuals. Which is the highest resolution today, and it competes with its other rival consoles like Xbox and PS3. On top of that, the Wii U is backwards compatible, meaning it could play your old Wii games, and your also able to use your old Wii controllers as well.
Speaking of the controller. One of the highlights of the reveal was the new controller. A controller that’s going to change gaming. The controller looks like an iPad, or a tablet, but with buttons. It consists of a 6 inch touch screen, 2 control sticks, the directional pad, the face buttons such as A B X Y. Shoulder buttons like L and R, and a built in microphone and camera on both front and back. Apparently, despite the awkward look of the controller, critics say it feels and handles very nicely. They compared it to the iPad 2 but with buttons and a grip. However, my favorite part is being able to switch the tv screen to the screen on your controller. If another family member wants to watch tv, and your on the Wii U, fear no more! You're able to switch from the tv screen to the controller! I recommend you check the video below, it'll show exactly what I'm talking about.
Enough of the system and controller. What about the games? Like I mentioned earlier, the Wii U can support 1080p resolution. So expect the same visuals as a Blu Ray player or PS3. With that being said, imagine a more beautiful Super Mario or Legend of Zelda game. Nintendo's games are known for having such lovable characters and storyline, but what I really love the most was the world we explored in those games. These worlds are so vibrant and colorful, those were some of my favorite moments in Nintendo games. Exploring these worlds were such a great adventure when I was younger, so imagine them on the Wii U.
Nintendo already announced (not revealed) a new Super Smash Bros and a sequel to the one of the greatest games on the Wii, Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess. But what about the third party developers? Games like Assassins Creed, Battlefield 3, Batman Arkham City, Ghost Recon, Tekken, Darksiders 2, Ninja Gaiden 3, and more are being revealed. Don’t believe me? Check out the video below. The first half of the video is about the developers first impressions on the Wii U, the other half, demos all the upcoming third party games.
Too much too take. Its so beautiful. Like I actually cried. It seems like Nintendo heard its fans from the 90's and are returning to them. They are coming back to its roots. I was loosing faith on Nintendo. I wasn't satisfied with the Wii, it lasted me for about less than a year, and its games were pretty boring for a hardcore gamer. But when Nintendo revealed this system, I knew right away that Nintendo coming back. The 3DS is just the tip of the iceberg, and Nintendo is just getting started.
Untitled Wii U Zelda Project. Looks like a sequel to Twilight Princess.


I tip my hat to you Nintendo. I appreciate that they are returning to what they stand for: producing games that the casual players can enjoy but the hardcore fans will love. The new system is simply ground breaking and all Nintendo is saying to its competitors is "Bring it on."
ReplyDeleteI'm actually excited for this. I have a Wii myself, and am not very impressed with it, so with the release of this, I may be able to actual get behind it. I'm not really a handheld guy that much either, but this just might change my mind. Games like super smash bros and zelda, plus better graphics? there's just so many good features added to this, and the Wii U is going to bring nintendo back into contension with other systems like the xbox and the ps3.
ReplyDeleteUntil I was about 12 years old, the only experience I had with video games was an old SNES that I had in the bunkie at my cottage. I'm not what anyone would even dare consider a gamer, but even I was disappointed by the Wii. The motion sensor was completely unimpressive compared to how they advertised it, and the graphics looked like something from 1999. I'm glad that the Wii-U seems more like an updated version of the Gamecube, and that Nintendo is moving away from the little kid stuff.
ReplyDeleteHonestly, this looks amazing. I also grew up with videogames, good ol' Nintendo 64 use to be my best friend. I love Zelda and Mario, they're my favourite games to play. I also agree, the wii got boring very fast, and the games aren't as good as they use to be. The Wii U looks quite interesting, might make me get back into gaming more. Hopefully it improves the fun. :p Amazing blog, thanks for posting this.
ReplyDelete