Laws, they protect us and the people around us and help our society run smoothly.
So obviously they are important to respect and they make sense if we are still using them...
...right?
Not Really. If you look up some of the laws we have within Canada... you'd wonder if perhaps the Government was a tad...drunk when they wrote them.
A couple interesting ones where I can tell aren't even followed are:
" Comic books which depict any illegal acts are banned"
In a city in Quebec it is "Illegal for a teen to walk down mainstreet with their shoe untied"
These aren't really follows. Of course there a some banned comic books but...I have seen MANY comic books showing illegal acts that are availible in stores. Shoes untied? REALLY? I can highly doubt that's really followed. That's a little outrageous.
A few that I think are a tad outdated are:
In Alberta " If you are released from prison, it is required that you are givena handgun with bullets and a horse so you can ride out of town." and " Businesses must provide rails to tie up horses" .
In Toronto "you may not drag a dead horse down Younge St. on Sunday".
I'm pretty sure horses aren't used often as a mode of transportation and I pretty sure they arent going to give a just-released convict a GUN and WHO is going to be dragging a horse down Younge Street? It is to busy now with cars to even walk across Younge Street.
Some other just interesting ones were:
"Citizens may not publicly remove bandages"
"The colour of house and garage door is regulated by city bylaws ( a purple door gets you a fine)"
In B.C its " illegal to kill a Sasquatch".
Some of these laws are extremly outdated and some are just outrageous because some of them are as "illegal as J-walking" since I've never seen or heard of them being regualted or anyone being arrested or fined for breaking one. Perhaps the governments makes these laws just for kicks to have some fun or maybe they were being serious but it makes me wonder what type of people run our country and whether oe not they pay attention to the laws that were passed years ago.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteMost laws have been in our country for years now, so yes some of them will be outdated. However, if you really think about it, it would be quite
ReplyDeletedangerous if somone were to drag a dead horse down young street. Think of the complications that would cause.as for most other laws it made sence when they were create and they have only been outdated by the times.
This post was really interesting. In my law class last semester, we talked about some pretty bizarre laws too. Apparently there's this law in Switzerland that forbids one to flush the toilet after 11:00pm. I'm sorry, but what type of law is that? But my all time favourite Canadian law is that one is forbidden to pretend to practice witchcraft. I guess that means actually practicing witchcraft is legal? Sometimes I think certain laws are passed without having a legit reason to it.
ReplyDeleteI once looked at a website with the stupidest laws I have ever seen... maybe you seen it? It shows laws from all over, and they are all crazy. It kind of surprises me that some of the laws we have are that stupid. Though some are to prevent danger, they are just plain weird. I didn't believe they were real, and I'm still not quite sure, but they are definitely interesting. I agree our government may have been a bit loco while writing some of these laws.
ReplyDelete