There is satisfaction in knowing what all your friends, enemys and even your crush is doing at that exact moment. Posting pictures from the exciting moments and events in your life is also fun and Facebook definitely keeps us connected.
But the real questions that I have here aren't why we feel the need for Facebook, but is how many friends do have on Facebook? have you considered when you have possibly have TOO many friends? Is there even a limit to the amount of 'friends' you can have on Facebook? How many of the people you have as friends are ACTUALLY your friends??
Some Facebook Stats said there are over 500 million active facebook users and that an average user has 130 friends. This might be average, but most people I know with Facebook have at least 200 friends!
More statistics say that the maximum amount of friends you can have is 5000!! In fact, there is a several groups on facebook for anyone who wants to have way more Facebook friends!!
The description I found on one Facebook page for the group to reach their maximum amount of friends was:
"Need to add Facebook friends? Want to reach the maximum limit of 5000 Facebook friends. Let's work hard together so that everyone can reach their goal!"
This icon/image below was on the same Facebook page- Yes it is great to have friends, but there is a difference between regular friends and Facebook only friends
Who really needs that many friends on Facebook?? Or for that matter who needs 5000 friends in general???
Another group stated that by having more friends on Facebook, you would become more popular!
Do you really need hundreds or even thousands of friends on Facebook just to be popular?
Again, are they really even your friends?!
Some people add 10 or more friends every day! Chances are that if you are adding that many people per day, you either just got Facebook and are adding all your friends from school, work etc., or the people you are adding aren't even people that you know!
You really should not be sharing personal information or photos with peopl that you don't even know!
So, can you possibly have too many Facebook friends? When should you stop adding people?
In my opinion, you should set a limit for yourself as to how many people you are going to add, make it reasonable so that you can have a good amount of friends, but don't make your main goal in life to get the maximum amount of friends on Facebook! Its not worth your time or effort and it definitely does not make you any better or more popular! If you don't know someone, why add them?!
I see your point, it is crazy to have too many friends on Facebook. I know I do, I know I certainly don't consider them all friends in person, most are just people I sort of know or have met a few times. Some I work with. Personally, since I got over my part of adding every single person in my classes whether I talked to them or not, I've just been too lazy to delete some. Although, I also believe they should have other categories on Facebook to add people because some of them you may need to contact them for other reasons, maybe they aren't a friend but more an acquaintance.
ReplyDeleteFacebook friends.. I noticed that people add people that you see downt the hallway once, or add someone because your friend has him or her on facebook. It's getting crazy. Many youths are found that they're addicted to facebook. I find it devastating using up hours and hours tagging pictures and looking at other people's profile before finishing your homework.
ReplyDeleteI got facebook at the same time you did, so I understand where you're coming from. It's actually ridiculous; adding people from across the world that you don't even know! At first I was slightly addicted, not going to lie, but now I'm over it and concentrating on more important things in life. Sometimes it annoys me when people update their status like every few minutes. To be honest, most people probably don't care, and it's facebook not twitter, kids.
ReplyDeleteMany people see it as a way to seem popular. And yeah, many people will add you even if you talk to them once and give them your name. There are even pages for people to add other people at random when they don't even know them.
ReplyDeleteYou know what, some people might have like 300 hundred friends and they might know them all but they cant remember off heart. i remember when i first got facebook, i only had like 12 friends, and now i have like 1500 because random people add me and stuff, but i dont talk them. i agree when you said you should set a limit because any person having over 400 friends is just kinda odd, there are a lot of crazy people out there. great blog over all maybe next time you can shorten it just a bit, overall good job!
ReplyDeleteJuan Chipotle said,
ReplyDeleteMost facebook friends are more like facebook acquaintances. The feeling to accept the friend requests is to help fulfill the need to be well liked and have a sense of a blooming social life. For some people the need to feel surrounded by other people and the attention from all the friends liking their posts, and photos, makes them feel important. But if you really need people not actually interacting with you and clicking a button for recognition, that a bit pathetic dont you think?
BroadwayStar 14 said,
ReplyDeleteyeah having 5000 friends is a bit unrealistic .... i mean how many of those people do u aCTUALLY SEE REGULARLY !!! on FB i have about 350 friends ..... and most of them i havnt seen in 3 years because we all went our seperate ways after middle school .... but fb is also designed for u to connect with people u cant always see ... so its okay for that reason ... but if your having friends just for the sake of say ing you do .... then u have a bit of an issue !! great article !! =)
Damici said,
ReplyDeleteThe amount of friends on facebook has some how became a competition. It is getting ridiculous considering most people have seen
probably 1/3 of the friends on facebook in their lives. You meet someone once and you guys will be friends on facebook even though
you most likely will never see them again. It seems to be a popularity contest on who has the most friends.