Thursday, June 02, 2011

What Happened to the Dress Code?

When I remember first coming into Cawthra at the young age of 14, fresh out of middle school one moment at the orientation still sticks to to me. The Dress Code talk.  Now I've had these before...but never in such detail with mannequins and all.  But I understood. I agreed.

The 4 B's.  NO Butts. NO Bras. NO Boobs. NO bellies.

Pretty straightforward...right?

In grade 9 I would say I didn't notice much.  A couple bra straps the occasional short shorts that were a little TO short but overall not much problem.

It hit me this year...BAM.

WOW.

What's with all this revealing clothing?  That COMPLETELY goes against the basis dress code.

Crop tops? Your belly is completely exposed! Sure some of you got the tummy to show...but when its almost up to your bra line...Don't you feel a little revealed?

Lace tops.   sure they are nice and low cut tops and strapless tops are nice as well...but when you can a) completely see your bra through it(especially when its neon or patterned...) and b)when your boobs look like they are read to pop out of their hold...it's a little far.

A little Bra strap never hurt to show...but entire bras or complete bra straps with a strapless top? That doesn't even MATCH in colour?

Short shorts will never disappear...but your underwear and butt cheeks are not needed to be seen.  High waisted short shorts aren't long enough either. Just because there is extra fabric at the top...doesn't make them longer over your backside.

WHERE DID THE DRESS CODE GO?

WHERE are the teachers who are supposed to enforce the Code?
It's not like they haven't seen all the people walking around school in this attire...it's everywhere.

Maybe we all have just began to accept this as acceptable for teenagers?

I'm just hoping this is a fad that will quickly fade...and not get more revealing.

My true question still stands though. Where did the enforcement of the Dress Code go?

7 comments:

  1. I agree that people shouldn't be wearing such revealing things to school. When I look at some people, i feel uncomfortable because their wearing such revealing things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog.
    I've noticed more and more students wearing revealing clothing every day, and well, its quite trampy. I remember last year I wore a dress that apparently showed just a "little too much chest" and I had to go home and change. (Couldn't see anything, I was well covered, the teacher went a little overboard, though I respect her for following the rules) Although, now if I see someone with their bra visable, back exposed, and wearing short shorts that look more like underwear exposing your butcheeks, etc etc, they get no comments from the teachers? Its not right, the rules aren't being enforced. It was kind of ridiculous that they only just recently reminded people on the announcements to dress properly and look at the dress code in the agenda. I know its summer girls, but cover up what shouldn't be flaunted around. Do what you like at home, but this is highschool, and we should dress with respect. :) Its not right for teens to be dressing this way in a high school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you \!!!!!!!!!!! this is a great topic !!!!! i hate walking down the hall and seeing some girls thong, and i dont need to see your belly button piercing, or ur hiphugging tna pants !!!! and this new trend with lace shirts showing ur bra !!!!! were basically telling guys to "Come and getit !!!" its disgusting , us girls need to learn to respect oursleves a bit more which also means respecting the people around us by not giving them a totalpeep show !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember reading in this fictional book that one of the first lies they tell you in high school is that they WILL enforce the dress code. I guess that's true. I think certain articles of clothing like super short shorts and deep v-necks are "on the line" but completely exposing your neon bra through a cropped lace top while wearing spandex bootie shorts is over the top and unacceptable for school.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree. This year especially ! I have noticed more and more students wearing shorts, skirts and shirts that expose a lot of skin. It's not that I'm surprised that this is occurring, it's that they are getting away with it! If the dress code was so forceful at the beginning of our high school experience, why has it changed? If there is going to be a dress code, the teachers should stand by their word and make the students change if they are wearing something inappropriate. I believe that it isn't the students fault. Sure they should have a little more respect for themselves, especially if they are in a 'work place', but seeing other students getting away with un-proper dress wear will just get more students to break these rules.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sam's Reality Check said...
    The dress code is way to lenient at this school in particular since we don’t have uniforms people think they can wear whatever they want even though there is a "no bras no bellies no backs and no butts" rule. People don’t listen to these rules they dress however they want and why should they not. If no one is enforcing these rules then people are not going to follow them. They are more like suggestions now. Plus the fact that there are no consequences for disobeying the dress code. I like your topic though! Good way to spark some controversy within opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. its like they only seem to care when its at the assembly, but i guess they are just wasting people time talking about what you should wear and not wear. i think they stress it to much to not wear certain clothes considering the fact that they dont do anything about it

    ReplyDelete

All comments must conform to Cawthra's code of student behaviour; no offensive language will be tolerated.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.